Thursday, October 30, 2008

Social Networking

Facebook is something I had begun using a few months ago privately and have found that it is extremely time wasting! I can understand that some libraries will use it for particular promotions and it is another way for libraries to showcase and market themselves to those who may be prefer to use this technology. I actually prefer using blogs.
MySpace is something I just haven't tried or wish to. It just seems so bizarre to me that people live in 'another' life when there's one right here in the real world. That's not to say that it's not worthwhile, I just don't understand it and probably don't appreciate it. We are all different and we have different tastes in reading material so technologies are probably no different.
With the different technologies available though it really is up to the library staff to discuss, consider and select the technologies that would best suit their needs as far as staff time goes and also which technologies would most likely be used by library clients.

The 2.0 training course has been a fantastic opportunity for me to work through even though it has taken until now to complete. I've really enjoyed it and found the whole experience enlightening and very worthwhile. There is so much technology out there and keeping up with it for librarians is a challenge but one we must all try to do even though we may not be using the technology ourselves it's important that library staff working with the public are at least familiar with the technology so that if library clients were to ask or mention mashup or rss feeds for example the library staff would at least know what these were.
I must say though that when I have been working on 2.0 or simply spending time on the Internet at home the thing I enjoy most when I logoff is to go outside for a walk or fresh air and saying hello to the neighbours. You still can't beat the good outdoors and I still prefer the face to face contact with humans.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for your thoughts on social networking and congratulations for reaching the end of the course!
Kathleen A.